Allen Vaught has more than 15 years of experience working as a litigator on complex, multi-party litigation. As Of Counsel at Baron & Budd, Vaught currently manages the firm’s Employment Law Group for Baron & Budd, where he focuses on unpaid overtime wage class actions cases. Recently, Vaught won a major award for a group of mechanics who were incorrectly classified as independent contractors by their employer, which earned him the distinction of being recognized as the “Litigator of the Week” by the state of Texas by legal publication Texas Lawyer. In addition to his work as an attorney, Vaught also served as member of the Texas House of Representatives and in Operation Iraqi Freedom as a U.S. Army captain.
In the Texas House of Representatives, Vaught served as chairman of the Subcommittee on Violent Crimes, chairman of the Subcommittee on Border, Health and School Centered Emergencies, vice chairman of the Committee on Defense and Veterans’ Affairs and Vice Chairman of the Criminal Jurisprudence Committee. He has been widely recognized for his work on behalf of children’s health and safety, education and crime prevention and response.
A member of the U.S. Army Reserve from 1997 until 2005, Vaught served in Operation Iraqi Freedom from March 2003 to March 2004. Vaught commanded one of the Army’s first units to enter Fallujah, and he served as the city’s de facto mayor. After being transferred to Sadr City, Vaught was injured in combat operations and awarded the Purple Heart. He worked at Baron & Budd before leaving for Iraq, and the firm is very happy to have him safely home.
South Texas College of Law (J.D. 1997)
Baylor University (B.B.A., Accounting, 1995)
Publications and Courses
- Author & Panelist: FLSA Overtime Wage Violations, Texas Trial Lawyers Association, August 17, 2011.
- Panelist & Co-Author: False Patent Marking, Texas Bar CLE, May 25, 2010.
- Author: Lawyers Unique Role in Observing Veterans’ Day, Texas Lawyer, Nov. 9, 2009.
- Panelist: Bench-Bar Conference – Texas Legislative Update, Texas Bar CLE, Sep. 25, 2008.
Significant Reported Cases & Trials
- Beckerley v. Alorica, Inc., SACV 14-0836-DOC (JPRx), 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 132070 (C.D. Cal. Sept. 17, 2014).
- Lillehagen, et al. v. Alorica, Inc., SACV 13-0092-DOC (JPRx), 2014 U.S. Dist. Lexis 67693 (C.D. Cal., May 15, 2014).
- Morse v. Equity Lifestyle Props., 2:13-cv-00408-JMS-MJD, 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 59863 (S.D. Ind. Apr. 30, 2014).
- Salmans v. Byron Udell & Assocs., 2013 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 28073; 20 Wage & Hour Cas. 2d (BNA) 617 (N.D. Ill. Feb. 26, 2013).
- Lee v. Center for Psychological Healthcare, 2013, U.S. Dist. Lexis 103443 (M.D. La., July 24, 2013).
- Zabrowski, et al. v. Managed Health Network, Inc., 2013 U.S. Dist. Lexis 59492 (N.D. Cal., April 25, 2013).
- Zabrowski, et. al. v. Managed Health Network, Inc., 936 F. Supp. 2nd 1145 (N.D. Cal. 2013).
- Salmons, et. al. v. Bryan Udall Assocs., 20 Wage & Hour Cas. 2d (BNA) 617 (N.D. Ill., Feb 26, 2013).
- Jones et al. v. Supermedia, Inc., 281 F.R.D. 282 (N.D. Tex. 2012).
- Case v. Phillips 66 Company, 2008 U.S. Dist. Lexis 96727 (S.D. Miss. Nov. 25, 2008).
- National Employment Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- Texas Bar Association
- Mississippi Bar Association
- Dallas Trial Lawyers Association
- Dallas Bar Association
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Arkansas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Thomson Reuters Super Lawyers (2012-2018)
- Texas Lawyer “Litigator of the Week,” September 2012.
- Thomson Reuters Super Lawyers “Rising Star” (2011)
- Law and Order Award, Texas District and County Attorneys Association (2009)
- Children’s Advocacy Award, Texas Pediatric Society (2009)
- Legislative Advocate of the Year, Texas PTA (2009)
- Legislative Initiatives Nurturing Children (LINC) Award, Children’s Hospital (2009)
- Legislator of the Year, Association of Texas Professional Educators, Region 10 (2009)
- Friends of Veterans Award, Texas Criminal Justice Coalition (2009)
- Outstanding Supporter, The Wind Coalition (2009)
- Citizen of the Year, Elks Lodge, Dallas (2009)
- Top 100 Civil Plaintiff Trial Lawyers (National Trial Lawyers, 2017)